I’m best known as an award-winning children’s author of eleven books – eight are about disabilities. I’m the writer and creator of “Fairy Ability Tales”. In a nutshell, I pen fairy tales both classical and/or original and fracture them to have their starring protagonist have a disability or chronic illness. Talk about fun and unique!
You may also know me as the real-life inspiration behind “Archie Comics” character, Harper Lodge. You know, the cousin of my idol, Veronica Lodge!!! What an honor!
I celebrate my disability, and remain comfortable and proud in my unique skin. On Dec. 30, 2014, “The Toronto Star” named me as a “hero” on their year-round list of eight individuals. I’ve appeared on all sorts of media channels including; CBC’s “The National”, CBC’s local Toronto news, “Global National”, CBC’s “Metro Morning”, CTV’s national news, City TV, Buffalo’s “WKBW-TV” evening news, “The Buffalo News”, AMI “This Week” and “Accessibility in Action”, on seventeen CBC radio stations coast-to-coast, etc. I’ve also had the honor of being a front page cover story for “The Toronto Star”, and as their front page cover story in their “Life” section for my kid’s books. The Museum of disABILITY History in the U.S.A. celebrated my work with a two-day event.
I’ve won all sorts of awards for my books as well, including; two Mom’s Choice silver medals, a gold medal from Gelett Burgess awards, a bronze medal from IPPY awards, etc. I earned two scholarships while in school. I took home a $15,000 journalism scholarship from Global TV, and went onto intern in their “Entertainment Tonight Canada” studio. I also earned a $5,000 U.S. scholarship from popular women’s book publisher, Harlequin Enterprises. In the past, I worked as an internationally syndicated youth advice columnist for “Scripps Howard News Service” in the States, and also “The Halifax Chronicle Herald”. Last, but not least, I have a background in live performances as I worked in numerous theatrical shows. As for my secret dreams, I hope to pick up more fashion modeling and acting work. I can’t get enough of entertaining all of you!
Love, Jewel xoxo
“Cinderella’s Magical Wheelchair: An Empowering Fairy Tale”
- (Fairy Ability Tales Book #1)
- Silver medalist/Mom’s Choice Awards 2013
- One-page book excerpt in the ‘Quincy Jones’ issue of ‘Ability Magazine’
- Book signing at Museum of disABILITY History in Buffalo, New York
- Featured in the evening news of WKBW-TV
- “The Huffington Post” lists it as a valuable teaching resource
- First “Cinderella” adaptation in history with a wheelchair-mobile Princess
“The Princess and the Ruby: An Autism Fairy Tale”
- (Fairy Ability Tales Book #2)
- Silver medalist/Mom’s Choice Awards 2013
- Re-telling of the Hans Christen Andersen’s classic ‘The Princess and the Pea’ except with an Autism twist
- First and only fairy tale featuring a non-verbal child princess with Autism
“Snow White’s Seven Patches: A Vitiligo Fairy Tale”
- (Fairy Ability Tales Book #3)
- FIRST fairy tale in HISTORY featuring a Princess with the skin condition of vitiligo.
“What Do You Use to Help Your Body?: Maggie Explores the World of Disabilities”
- Won gold medal from the prestigious Gelett Burgess Awards in the category of illness, bereavement and disability.
- Full two-page book excerpt in Ability Magazine (USA)
- Full-fledged multicultural cast of characters that illustrate disabilities unite the human experience.
“DitzAbled Princess: A Comical Diary Inspired by Real Life”
- Won bronze medal in the (IPPY) Independent Publisher Book Awards for the category Graphic Novel / Drawn Book – Humor / Cartoon
- First reality-series comic strip about a woman with a physical disability
- Book signing at the Museum of disABILITY History in Buffalo, New York
- Magazine cover story of “Disability Today Network” and Australia’s largest cross-disability magazine “Link Disability Magazine”
- Featured on WKBW-TV evening news
“Reena’s Bollywood Dream: A Story About Sexual Abuse”
- First and only children’s picture book about a young Indo-American girl who survives sexual abuse
“Teddy Bear Princess: A Story About Sharing and Caring”
- “Teddy Bear Princess” and “Cinderella’s Magical Wheelchair” featured in the cover story on “Conversations’ Model Citizens” magazine.
“Word Search Divas”
- Puzzle book with diva themes and pictures of fashion models
NEWLY RELEASED BOOKS:
- “The Princess Panda Tea Party: A Cerebral Palsy Fairy Tale” (Spring 2014/ children’s picture book)
- “Miss Popular Steals the Show: Girls in Wheelchairs Rule!” (Spring 2014/children’s chapter book)
- “Hansel and Gretel: A Fairy Tale with a Down Syndrome Twist” (Winter 2014/children’s picture book)
AUTHOR WEBSITE: www.jewelkats.com
AUTHOR’S EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org